12 February 2010

my travels, documented through a lens.

I was wide awake at 3am this morning with my lady. She had the munchies and I haven't been feeling well so we took care of each other. I cuddled up on the couc and watched a netflix movie on my macbook. I chose "Broken English" based on the views of Paris from the preview. Seems I am feeling nostalgic for Paris as I had also watched "Le Ballon rouge" before bed. When I am watching movies based on places I have visited I keep my eyes wide open to connect with a sight I have stored in my memory. This made me start thinking, I have so many photographs from London and a few from Paris {***sigh*** I had camera trouble and only have day one of three in Paris and none of the three days in Amsterdam} and it seems fair that I should share them, as, I am always looking for something to blog about that won't bore you to death. 

Introducing... "my travels, documented through a lens" post one...

I wasn't sure which picture to choose for the first post. Then I decided I would use the first picture I took once off the plane in London.
This is a piece from The British Museum, at the time it was located in the special exhibition part of The Great Court. I almost didn't make it anywhere else in the museum because I loved this sculpture so. But I remembered how I would love almost everything seeing as I was in an art museum, so I got a move on.

As a metalsmith and lover of nature I adored the use of old metal gun parts to build this tree. The texture is as interesting as bark and the patinated metal gives the look of a weathered structure from outdoors. The sculpture also balances the lines of sturdiness and fragility as a tree does. The massive weight of both, the thick interior structure or rings of wood balanced with the covering of pieces of bark which can be flimsy as can the final layer of gun parts pieced together. Aside from the structural similarities I am driven to the underlying theme, nature is fragile in and of itself, and it becomes yet more fragile when we interfere. Guns are just as fragile with a human behind it. It sheds a light on how mindful we need to be of each other and the earth we live on. With all of this swirling in my head along with my aesthetic attraction to the tree, I nearly curled up at the bottom of this sculpture to feel safe, ponder my impact on nature and show respect and gratitude.

I hope you enjoy this new endeavor as much as I do. I have pulled out the travel journal and a map of the British Museum to reminisce. Click over to The British Museum and take a trip yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say!

thanks for reading!