28 August 2012

thriftin' in New Bedford

I spent a year living in New Bedford when I was an undergrad. The city had just started to come to life with boutiques and restaurants popping up here and there. Aside from the burritos at No Problemo my other favorite part of living in New Bedford was being so close to four huge antique shops. 

This time I was on the hunt for displays. One of my major display pieces was broken at my last fair.
[big sad face here. it had a cover and was well, perfect.] And I was pretty good leaving with a few displays and one dinged up hammer. For once I was all business, except for all of the picture taking that happened.

I have a hard time keeping to my task when I shop at antique stores.

There are too many bright, shiny objects that catch my eye.

It is probably a good thing that I drive a VW Golf and can't get home with tons of large pieces. 

Everything is so enticing. The furniture is fun and just asking to be refinished. 
And who doesn't need an old dress form just for decoration?

There are four different major antique shops in New Bedford [some listed here] and they are all unique, amazing and overwhelming with treasures to be found.

They manage to all have very different collections than the next one.

Making the adventure even more fun when you are hitting up all four at once.

I so wish this machine were $2. Because, you know, I really need an old register.

I think my favorite part of taking pictures at the Cove was trying to capture the collections people have acquired over time. I am fascinated with the objects one decides to collect.

Do you remember milk delivery? I do. There were many days of carrying glass bottles to our third floor apartment. Was I ever petrified I would drop a quart of milk.

I found the Cove to be a haven of sorts for anyone interested in textile arts or old product design. 

Another odd collection, but this one is my favorite. Color, rust and metal get me every time.

Would any place other than New Bedford have this type of bling in a vintage jewelry display case?

Another great example as to why it is a very, very good thing I drive a Golf.

Same here. How cool is this??????

Headstand?

Crystal haze.

Singa, the way a true New Bedford resident would say "Singer".
[I can crack this joke as a girl born in Fall River, aka Fahl Riva.]

More rust but this time with moss!

How I wish I had more than a fire escape garden. I'd love to mount these on the side of a garage and plant ivy or clematis to wind around the perfectly weathered iron work.

Let's grind.

These boxes completely fascinate me. 

The colors and type are attractive. I keep trying to think of just the right project for these.

Turn me on I'm a radio!

Washboard abs.

I hope you enjoyed my thrifting adventure. 
happy tuesday!
xo, kim

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to read what you have to say!

thanks for reading!